Writing Prompt #3 - A story that takes place in the woods

 The Hike

By Karelynn A . Spacek 




    Flapping wings. A stray owl swooped in and out of the treetops, beating a frenzied rhythm. Spooked by my presence, it took off in alarm. I continued down the trail. Camp was another mile or so back through the thick foliage.

    I could have gone to a spa or the beach, you know, typical vacation destinations designed for relieving stress. Having never been typical, seclusion was what I most desired. While the other choices held allure, the woods were calling my name.

    After being dumped by my long term boyfriend, I wanted to escape from reality, even if it was just for a little while. The sting of betrayal left an unsettling feeling, a deep ache that needed to be healed.The forest opened up, my light blue tent awaiting my return from the stream.

    A floral aroma from the surrounding wildflowers tickled my nose. It was like having your own personal candle without the dangers of an open flame. Their effect was immediate. My head felt clearer, devoid of any lingering negativity. I would call it magic, but I guess the natural beauty of the forest just had a way of taming the savagery of life's many woes.

    The final rays of light dimmed beyond the distant hills, notes of pink and orange painting the sky will a brilliant pastel display. I stuck a match and watched the fire pit come alive with dancing tendrils that swayed on their own accord.

    A pot of soup simmered while I poured myself a cup of tea. It was a light meal, but suited my needs. Just a I went to grab the ladle, a series of scurrying footsteps circled the campsite. Not thinking of the potential dangers, I wasn't prepared to handle a confrontation. Just remain calm, you got this.

    The footsteps sounded again, closer this time. I took hold of the ladle, holding it in front of my like a knife. Compared to a gun, it was pretty useless. I wasn't going to give up though. Easy prey I was not.

    A tuft of reddish brown fur passed a break in the shrubs. I held still, not wanting to startle whatever was stalking my location. Seconds passed at a crawl. I took a step forward.

    Trotting with measured steps, a large fox came into the clearing. I should be glad that it wasn't a wolf. Foxes were predatory animals too, so I held my ground. Curious eyes glanced in my direction, seemingly not impressed enough to come any closer. Deciding that I wasn't a threat, the fox leapt across the the space in bounding gallops.

    Too tense to eat, I sat on my sleeping bag and released a ragged breath. That could have been way worse that it had been. Well, this would be an experience I wouldn't forget any time soon.

 


This is a work of fiction and is the sole property of the author. No part of this story may be used, copied or reproduced in any manner without the author's permission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kimono Collecting Writer

The Libran Writer

The Illustrating Writer