Writing Prompt #1 - A Risky Proposal

 

A Risky Proposal

 


    "We could get in so much trouble for this Evan." I whispered.

    "No one will even notice, as long as we don't act suspicious." His hand trailed across my cheek to rest at my waist.

    "I want to believe that, but you know how our co-workers like to gossip. One slip-up and we'll be screwed. None of them could keep a secret to save their own lives." I wanted to believe that none of them would hurt us on purpose, but I wasn't 100% sure.

    "I have spent too much time regretting not asking you out sooner; I won't let anyone stand in the way of our happiness. Now that I have you, I don't want to let you go."

    "Neither do I. All those months I longed for your touch were maddening."

    "My track record with dating someone I work with hasn't gotten me the best attention here, so I was hesitant, despite how much I was attracted to you."

    "Well I'm glad your decided I worth another blow to your reputation." We were both risking our jobs by being together. 

    I had fantasized about moments like this, the two of us lying in bed, limbs entangled. In Evan's arms I felt safe, like I could take on the world and not break a sweat. 

    That first kiss was heady, passionate, and all consuming.  And completely unexpected. Before then we would occasionally have pleasant conversations with light banter when no one else was around, yet other times, I swear he didn't want to be in the same room as me. Imagine my surprise when he shows up out of the blue and admits his attraction to me. I had thought I was dreaming.

* * *

    It had terribly hot that day, yet I had to take my daily walk around the neighborhood. A small park was part of my route, it even had a couple benches and cherub statues giving it a whimsical ambiance. Making the turn that led past the park, I saw a man sitting on one of the benches. No big deal, although most of the time, they were always empty when I showed up.

    The closer I got, familiar features came into focus. I stopped dead in my tracks, shocked at what I was seeing.

    "Evan, what are you doing here?"

    "I was hopping to see you Kayla." Stunned by his reply, I remained still. He got up from the bench and came closer.

    "There's something I need to tell you."

    "Okay. What is it?" I broke from my stupor.

    His eyes burned a deep umber, and I was their target. There was purpose behind that stare, emotion waiting to be unleashed. Evan was silent. 

    "Are you going to te---" My question was halted by lips crashing down upon my own. I couldn't respond at first. He started to pull away, but I pulled him close, renewing the ferocity of our shared embrace.

    We broke apart, breath rampant. "So, do you want to go out with me or what?" It was a risky proposal that I readily accepted. The man that I had wanted for so long, wanted me too.

Author's Note

This is a work of fiction, and is the sole property of the author. Similarities to actual people, places, or events is coincidental.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kimono Collecting Writer

The Libran Writer

The Illustrating Writer