Writing prompt #4 - The Necklace

 The Necklace


 


    This wasn't how I anticipated spending a rainy Sunday. My grandmother's attic was in need of a thorough cleaning, so guess who got roped into helping? Thick layers of dust and cobwebs clung to numerous stacks of cardboard boxes, left in neglect over the years. These were her "treasures" as she liked to call them. Memories and trinkets from the past held great value to her.

    Unexpected storms rolled in, making my scheduled outdoor activities moot. I hope Mrs. Winfield wasn't too upset with the turn of events. She was an elderly neighbor, whom I had promised to help with weeding her small backyard garden. The torrential downpour pretty much eliminated that possibility. A concerned phone call confirmed as much.

    I donned a pair of ratty sweatpants, a paint-stained tee shirt, and rubber gloves before opening the first box. A cracked window allowed for a light breeze to circulate through the space. The clean scent was a  welcome addition to filter away the musk.

    Sepia toned photographs and clothing from her youth, every box held contents that were labeled and organized by the year. I had been given specific instructions on what to keep and what could be donated. Convincing her to part with anything had been a chore all by itself. After much argument and reasoning, she finally consented.

    Imagine my curiosity, when I discovered a small jewelry container tucked into a corner, almost hidden from view. How odd? She hadn't mentioned this to me. That shouldn't come as a surprise. She probably had forgotten about it.

    It resembled a small chest that was worthy of any pirate movie. A metal latch kept the wooden box sealed. There wasn't a lock. I lifted the clasp to look inside.

    Nestled on a layer of black velvet material, a circular disk engraved with a floral pattern rested. Gold in color, the medallion like pendant was strung on a braided chain. I saw a indention on the side that suggested that it could be opened.

    My fingernail found the space that separated the top disk from the bottom, and gave it a firm push. The pendant opened up like a locket, revealing an aged photo of a man that I knew for fact was not my grandfather. he had dark hair, while the man in question had light hair. maybe he was an old boyfriend before my grandfather came along. On the opposite side of the opened locket was an inscription: "To my dearest, until the end of time." The words were beautiful, and heartfelt. This man obviously had meant a lot to her.

    It would seem that my grandmother had a whole secret life that I didn't know about. I would have to ask her about it sometime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kimono Collecting Writer

The Libran Writer

The Illustrating Writer